Friday, February 18, 2011

Torticollis

Torticollis, or "wry neck", has made an insurgence into our diagnostic consciousness most probably due to the "Back to Sleep" program, and in some measure, the popularity of bottle feeding.  As infants sleep on their backs their heads loll to the side and begin to tilt one ear to one shoulder for long periods of time. This tends to encourage the shortening of the muscles on one side of the neck and lengthen, or weaken, the muscles on the opposite side. As well, when we bottle feed we tend to hold our infant on our preferential side. If you are right handed you tend to place the infant's head in the crook of your left elbow and vica versa. This may be pushing the infant's head to one side 5-6 times a day!
One early suggestion to prevent this from occurring is to feed the infant on alternate sides, as if you were breastfeeding. One might also feed the infant nestled in a pillow or boppy in front of you. Since I feel uncomfortable holding an infant in the crook of my right elbow I cross my right leg over my left and place the infant in the crook of my right knee. I can rock the infant at the same time. I give credit for this idea to my late father who was well before his time. Thanks Dad!
Renee

No comments:

Post a Comment